|“||And perhaps it's time to remind you ... who rules this place.||”|
–-Pariah Dark, "Reign Storm"
Pariah Dark is the King of all Ghosts. He possesses the Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire, which grant Pariah Dark nearly limitless power. He commands the Fright Knight as well as an army of Skeletal ghosts. Pariah Dark is the main antagonist of "Reign Storm".
Long before Danny became a ghost, before nearly all the other ghosts in the Ghost Zone were even spawned, a ghost named Pariah Dark was the most powerful and dangerous ghost in the Ghost Zone. He was the king of all ghosts, and the Fright Knight was his servant. With the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire, Pariah Dark ruled the Ghost Zone with an iron fist.
Eventually, a group of powerful ancient ghosts banded together to defeat the Ghost King, by sealing away the Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire, as well as banishing Fright Knight. These ancient ghosts imprisoned Pariah himself in the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep and destroyed his kingdom, leaving behind only his castle where they hoped he would sleep forever.
Vlad Plasmius went to Pariah's castle to get his ring and crown. He used the Skeleton Key opened the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep to get the Crown of Fire, but Pariah awakened and attacked him. Vlad escaped with the Ring of Rage. Pariah summoned his army and the Fright Knight to go to Amity Park in search of the ring. Pariah then transported the entire city of Amity Park into the Ghost Zone.
Pariah Dark was too powerful for Danny to defeat on his own, so Danny enlisted the help of his Ghost Zone allies (whom Pariah had kicked out, claiming the Ghost Zone entirely for himself) and took his father's ecto-skeleton suit. Together, they managed to remove Pariah's crown, taking away his powers. Vlad used the Skeleton Key to lock Pariah back into the sarcophagus, returning everything to normal.
Pariah briefly appears as one of the many ghosts that attack Danny in the Ghost Zone in "Phantom Planet", even though he was supposedly still sealed away.
Because he was once king of all ghosts, Pariah has a commanding force, expecting others to heed his word or perish. Ruthless, strict, and malevolent, he'll force his armies on other places in order to get what he wants without a second thought. He seems to enjoy power and gaining as much influence as possible. He cannot tolerate those who oppose him. He also appears to enjoy combat. He displays an interesting view of power, as he when he fought Danny, augmented by his suit, he remarks that wielding that much power is a burden. This is hinted even more as he was stated to be the only one who could handle the power of the Ring and Crown.
When he is imprisoned in the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep however, everything turns back to normal. Pariah Dark is also very arrogant, often underestimating his enemies.
Powers and Abilities
Pariah Dark is one of the most powerful ghosts in existence. Even his basic ghost powers are at levels above other ghosts.
- Standard ghost powers: Intangibility, invisibility, flight, and overshadowing.
- Ghost Ray: Pariah Dark's ghost rays were strong enough to destroy Vlad's ghost shield and knock out both Danny and Vlad at the same time, even without his full power.
- Supernatural Strength: He was able to drain 60% of the energy of Danny’s Ecto-Skeleton, which made Danny 100 times more powerful, in one hit.
- Supernatural Endurance: He was able to take three of Danny’s Ecto-Skeleton-enhanced ghost rays at the same time and showed only minimal discomfort.
- Teleportation: He teleported the entire city of Amity Park to the Ghost Zone.
- Summoning: Pariah can summon a huge ghost skeleton army that obeys all his commands. The number of his army seems to be unlimited.
- Projection: He can project an image of himself over an area to watch over it. He used this power to view Amity Park while he was in his castle.
- Ring of Rage and Crown of Fire: In order to reach his maximum power, he must have the Ring of Rage and the Crown of Fire. Even without these artifacts, Pariah's power instilled fear in all the ghosts of the Ghost Zone, and he could easily defeat Danny and Plasmius at the same time without them.
- Mace: He wields a mace that he can fire ghost rays from. If he loses his mace, he can have it telekinetically return to him.
- Sword: He has a sword at his belt, though he was never shown using it.
- In an interview, creator Butch Hartman said that Pariah Dark's character was inspired by the DC Comics villain Darkseid.
- Physically, Pariah Dark seems to incorporate elements of Odin from Norse mythology. Particularly, he has an eye patch and one of his horns is damaged.
- During the ad campaign leading up to the premiere of Reign Storm, Pariah Dark is referred to solely as "Reign".
- Pariah Dark is one of Danny's few enemies whom he has not captured in the Fenton Thermos.
- Pariah Dark is one of the largest ghosts to appear in the series.
Click here to view the gallery.