- This page is for Danny Phantom (character), the character. For other uses, see Danny Phantom (disambiguation).
|“||I'm going ghost!||”|
Daniel "Danny" Fenton, also known by his alias Danny Phantom, is the half-human/half-ghost protagonist of the television series Danny Phantom. As the ghostly superhero Danny Phantom, he protects the citizens of Amity Park from the dangerous ghosts of the Ghost Zone.
Living with ghost-obsessed parents since birth, Danny had to put up with his parents' "unique" personalities, which often traumatized him. Danny wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up, and had no interest in hunting ghosts. However, this did not stop his curiosity that one day changed his life forever. While in his parents' laboratory, Danny accidentally activated the newly-built Fenton Portal, causing his molecular structure to become infused with ectoplasm. Danny became half-human and half-ghost, and gained an array of other-worldly super powers.
Before his first real ghost fight, Danny had only had his powers for a month. He was unsure about telling his parents about the accident, as he feared their reactions due to them being ghost hunters. He was still trying to get the hang of his powers, often losing control of them at inopportune and embarrassing moments. But after his first battle against a ghost, he realized what his powers were for. Since the ghosts were a serious threat, Danny decided to take on the role of a superhero to protect the people of Amity Park.
In "Bitter Reunions," Danny met Vlad Masters, a millionaire bachelor who was secretly a half-ghost just like Danny, and had all of Danny's powers but with twenty years more experience. Vlad soon became Danny's arch-nemesis.
At first, Danny Phantom was not a particularly well-known or well-liked ghost. His debut to the people of Amity Park was ruined when Walker staged a ghost invasion on Amity Park and framed Danny for it, and later Freakshow took control of Danny's mind and forced him to perpetrate a series of ghostly crimes for him. Events such as these caused the people of Amity Park to hate Danny (then known as "Inviso-Bill"), despite his intentions to protect them. Danny's only supporters were his two friends Tucker Foley and Sam Manson, and, unbeknownst to him, his sister Jazz.
Becoming a Hero
In "Reign Storm", Danny defeated Pariah Dark and saved Amity Park from being trapped in the Ghost Zone for eternity. Amity Park finally recognized him as a hero. (It was at this point when Danny confirmed to Amity Park that his name was "Danny Phantom" and not "Inviso-Bill".) This also helped his standing in the Ghost Zone, as the Far Frozen began to know him as “The Great One” and “Savior of the Ghost Zone.” However, the three people he most wanted to believe in him, those being his parents and his love interest Valerie, still did not believe Danny Phantom was anything but a menace.
In "The Ultimate Enemy," Danny witnessed an alternate future where he rejected his human half to become more powerful, but ultimately became much more evil. His future self turned out to be his ultimate enemy.
New Allies and Old Friends
A Bright Future
In "Phantom Planet," Danny met Vlad's Masters' Blasters, who seemed to be able to hunt ghosts much more effectively than he could, making Danny question his status as the superhero the people wanted. He was so depressed that he zapped himself in the Fenton Portal again, returning himself to fully human and removing all his ghost powers, leaving a white streak in his hair as the only shred of evidence of his former status as a half-ghost. At the same time, however, a much bigger crisis - a Disasteroid - was headed straight for Earth, timed to collide in a week's time, destroying the entire planet.
With renewed determination, Danny returned to the Ghost Zone to seek help. His enemies in the Ghost Zone, however, were all too glad to see him in his unpowered human state, and took great pleasure in blasting him over and over. This inexplicably caused Danny to regain his ghost powers. Gaining help from his allies and enemies in the Ghost Zone, humans and ghosts worked side-by-side, and they successfully saved the world from the Disasteroid. After saving the world, Danny finally revealed his secret identity and was hailed as a hero all over Earth.
- Main article: Danny Phantom (character)/Clothes
At first, Danny was an average, awkward, nervous and friendly teenager. Like most teenagers, he had crushes on girls, desires to be popular, a dislike of bullies, and embarrassment about his parents. Unlike most teenagers, though, he had ghost powers. He was afraid of anyone discovering them, fearing it would make him go from "geek" to "freak." Danny longed to be normal and unnoticed by anyone. But after he fought ghosts for the first time, he realized he could use his powers for good. This new-found sense of purpose changed Danny into a heroic, brave young man.
When he's not worrying about ghosts, Danny is kind, easy-going, and helpful. He likes using his ghost powers for good, but, being a teenage boy, he is not above using his powers to get revenge on bullies or sneak into the girls' locker room. His ghost hunting often cuts into his school work time, but he does work hard when he puts his mind on the task at hand. He loves making puns and exchanging witty banter during his fights, and while there's moments when he under-appreciates his friends, he is thankful to have them.
Sam Manson was a friend of his since at least the second grade and was one of the first two people he trusted with his secret. Danny's friendship with Sam is not always as strong as his friendship with Tucker due to their mutual stubbornness, but he values her friendship just as much as he values Tucker's.
At first, Danny showed romantic feelings exclusively toward Paulina, which made Sam extremely jealous. By "Phantom Planet," however, Danny had rejected Paulina, and Danny and Sam had become a romantic couple.
Tucker is Danny's best friend, as the two have many things in common. Tucker was one of the first two people Danny trusted with his secret. Danny often takes Tucker's side whereas Sam tends to berate him, and rarely disagrees with Tucker.
When Danny was younger, he and his big sister Jazz were quite close, but as they grew older, they became more at odds with each other. Jazz's behavior is intelligent in a sometimes snobbish manner, which annoys Danny despite Jazz's concern for her little brother. In "My Brother's Keeper," Jazz learned Danny's secret, and unknown to Danny, helped cover for him when he needed to go ghost. She said she wouldn't tell Danny she knew until Danny was ready to tell her his secret, which happened in "The Ultimate Enemy." The two have since formed a much tighter bond, though they occasionally still pick on each other.
Jack and Maddie Fenton
Danny sometimes feels at odds with his parents, especially due to their desire to hunt ghosts. At an earlier age, Danny connected greatly with his mother, but they grew apart over time. While it seems he does not always feel safe with his parents (they have expressed intention to tear Danny Phantom apart molecule by molecule), he still shows love and concern for them as much as they do in return. In "Phantom Planet," Danny's parents readily accept him when they finally learn he is Danny Phantom.
At the beginning of the series, Danny had a massive crush on Paulina, even going so far as to change his computer password to "Paulina Fenton". Danny was too awkward and shy to ask her out, and the one time he worked up enough courage, his intangibility activated and caused his pants to fall down, embarrassing Danny and dissuading him from talking to her again. After saving her life as Danny Phantom (then still known as "Inviso-Bill"), Paulina developed a huge crush on Danny Phantom, but continued to completely ignore and reject Danny Fenton, frustrating Danny to no end. As the series progressed, however, Danny's feelings for Paulina faded, being replaced by his feelings for Valerie, and later, Sam.
Wen they first met, Danny's opinion of Valerie was anything but kind, as he was not a fan of her egotistical and angry attitude nor of the fact that she wanted to hunt him down. However, as Danny Phantom and Valerie were often forced to work together against their mutual foes, Danny Fenton began to see things from Valerie's perspective and gradually warmed up to her, even going so far as to briefly express romantic feelings toward her. In "Phantom Planet", Valerie was among the crowd cheering for Danny after he revealed his identity to the world.
Vlad is Danny's arch-rival and his arch-enemy. At first, Vlad was Danny's enemy only because he was jealous of Danny's father Jack, whom he felt had stolen Maddie from him. However, by "Eye for an Eye," Danny and Vlad had become more antagonistic, with Vlad's motive changing to wanting to rule the world and destroy Danny. Only in the alternative future explored in "The Ultimate Enemy" does Danny treat Vlad as anything other than an enemy.
Danny and Dani were on opposing teams until Dani realized that her creator, Vlad, was only using her, at which point she defected and became an ally of Danny. She later reappeared seeking a cure for her instability, which she found with Danny's help. Despite Danny and Dani only knowing each other for a short time, they developed a close brother-and-sister-like bond, always trusting and protecting each other.
Dan Phantom is Danny's ultimate enemy and the most powerful foe he has ever faced. Danny is at odds with his other enemies, including Vlad, but Dan is a whole other story. Dan is, or was, Danny's future self, but the events causing Danny to turn into Dan were averted through Clockwork's intervention. Danny and Dan have not encountered each other since Dan's imprisonment in Clockwork's lair.
Skulker has proven to be Danny's most persistent foe. Due to Danny's unique status as a half-ghost, Skulker has often tried to capture Danny. Despite this, Skulker is usually the first ghost Danny asks for help when Danny needs allies in the Ghost Zone.
Powers and Abilities
Going Ghost: White rings appear at Danny's waist and sweep over his body, transforming him from human to ghost. Danny can activate this transformation at will. His battle cry, "I'm going ghost!" or a variant thereof, often accompanies his transformation. Once transformed, he can use all his ghost powers.
- Invisibility: Danny can make his body invisible to both humans and ghosts.
- Intangibility: Danny can turn his body intangible, causing solid objects to pass straight through it. This power was the hardest for Danny to control at first, often activating at embarrassing times such as when asking a girl out.
- Flight: Gravity doesn't affect Danny's ghost body, so he can fly through air and space at considerable speeds and heights. While flying, his legs often become a ghost tail. Danny can fly at extremely high speeds - in "Maternal Instinct," his top speed was measured to be 112 mph, and he has gotten even faster since then.
- Ecto-Energy Powers
- Ghost Ray: Danny can fire green blasts of ecto-energy from his hands or fingertips. These blasts often explode on contact and are powerful enough to melt steel.
- Energy Strike: Danny can generate a Ghost Ray-like field around his hands to punch with the strength of a Ghost Ray.
- Ghost Shield: Danny can generate shields made of ecto-energy that can nullify or even reflect attacks from other ghosts. Like his ghost rays, Danny's shields are green in color.
- Power Augmentation: Danny can channel ecto-energy through his body to increase his strength.
- Ghost Stinger: Danny can send ecto-energy as electricity through an electric current. This power can negate his enemies' electric attacks and send them back at the attacker.
- Ghost Light: Danny can project light from his hand using ecto-energy.
- Ghostly Wail: Danny generates an extremely powerful sonic blast that can destroy buildings and cause severe damage to both humans and ghosts. The ghostly wail is Danny's most powerful ability. While Danny is capable of defeating almost any foe with this power, he only uses it as a last resort as it drains his energy extremely quickly, often forcing him to revert to his powerless human form after just one use.
- Telekinesis: Danny can move objects from a distance by grabbing them with ecto-energy. Inexplicably, Danny has only been seen using this power once, to give a rake to the Box Ghost.
- Ghost Ray: Danny can fire green blasts of ecto-energy from his hands or fingertips. These blasts often explode on contact and are powerful enough to melt steel.
- Overshadowing: Danny can overshadow other humans and animals, allowing him to completely control the subjects's actions. While overshadowing, Danny can still use his powers of flight, intangibility, invisibility, and ghost rays.
- Duplication: Danny can create duplicates of his body that all have his ghost powers and can fight alongside him. After seeing Vlad use this power during their first encounter, Danny spent much of the series trying to learn it, finally mastering it in "Torrent of Terror".
- Cryokinesis: Danny can fire beams of icy energy from his hands or eyes that can freeze enemies on contact, radiate cold energy from his body, and create objects from ice out of thin air. When using this power, his eyes turn icy blue instead of their usual glowing green. Danny can combine cryokinesis with his other powers for enhanced effects, such as firing an icy explosive blast or generating an ice shield to block fire attacks. Danny learned this power in "Urban Jungle".
- Ghost Sense: When Danny is in the presence of other ghosts, a blue mist comes out from his mouth, often accompanied by a chill going down his spine. This power subconsciously activates and alerts Danny to the presence of other ghosts. In "Urban Jungle", it was revealed that Danny's ghost sense was a manifestation of his ability to use cryokinesis.
- Spectral Body Manipulation: Danny can bend, twist, and otherwise contort his body far beyond the limits of normal human physiology.
- Superhuman Strength: Gravity doesn't affect Danny's ghost body, so he can lift heavy objects with ease. In ghost form, he has been seen to be strong enough to rip through reinforced titanium.
- Superhuman Stamina: While human, Danny has the same stamina level as a normal teenager, but in ghost form, he can exert himself at peak capacity for hours before fatigue begins to impair him. In "Reality Trip," he kept the Fenton Jet invisible for an entire night.
- Superhuman Agility: In ghost form, partially due to his power of flight, he has agility, balance, and bodily coordination at levels far beyond human limits.
- Superhuman Reflexes: In ghost form, Danny has dramatically enhanced reflexes, being able to dodge attacks with ease. In "Beauty Marked," he caught an arrow in midair with his bare hands.
- Paranormal Immunity: As a half-ghost, Danny is resistant to many types of ghost powers that normally harm humans, such as Ember's music (briefly) and Spectra's ghost illness.
- Weather Control (briefly): After Danny's first fight with Vortex in "Torrent of Terror," he accidentally gained some of Vortex's power, allowing him to control the weather like Vortex. This power was linked to Danny's emotional state, with calm weather when Danny was calm and stormy weather when Danny was angry. Danny lost this power during his second fight with Vortex.
- Vacuum Resistance: Twice, Danny was in outer space without a space suit and was unaffected by the vacuum, though he still needed a helmet.
- Underwater Breathing: Twice, Danny has been seen breathing and talking under water.
- Quick Learning Ability: Danny is able to quickly learn new things, even often able to copy many of the powers his enemies use against him without any training. Examples:
- The first time Danny used a ghost shield was only hours after seeing Vlad use one, without any training on Danny's part.
- In "Urban Jungle," Danny learned to use his ice powers in just one day, with training from Frostbite.
- In "One of a Kind," Danny quickly learned Sampson's body language.
- In "Teacher of the Year," Danny got an "A-" on his literature test with just one night of study.
- Experienced Pilot: Danny is a considerably skilled pilot, having much experience with the Specter Speeder as well as with spaceship simulator video games. In "Reality Trip," he was able to save a NASA spaceship from crash-landing due to his "training" with spaceship simulators.
- Anti-Ghost Weapons: In ghost form, Danny is vulnerable to all anti-ghost devices, including Fenton- and Masters-made gadgets and the Guys in White's weaponry. Some anti-ghost devices, such as the Specter Deflector, can affect him even while human.
- Blood Blossoms: While in the presence of Blood Blossoms, Danny is rendered powerless and suffers extreme physical agony. Vlad, in human form, was able to stand near Blood Blossoms unharmed, so presumably Danny can do so as well.
- Ecto-ranium: As he is half ghost, Danny is extremely vulnerable to ecto-ranium.
- Intro: "Danny Phantom Opening"
- Every episode of Season 1
- Every episode of Season 2
- Every episode of Season 3
- Main article: Danny Phantom (character)/Quotes
Cameos in other media
- In the television series The Fairly OddParents! (also by Butch Hartman), in the episode "Poltergeeks", Danny Phantom can be seen on one of the TV screens in the ghost lab, in the upper-left corner.
- In the television series MAD, in the episode "Extreme Renovation: House Edition", figures resembling Danny Phantom and Casper the Friendly Ghost can be seen floating inside Superman's new closet.
- In an issue of the Snafu comic The Grim Tales, Danny is seen in Grimm’s flashback working at Nasty Burger and once again when Clockwork brings up young Danny to Dan.
- Danny's original character design was much different from the final production:
- Creator Butch Hartman originally wanted to name Danny "Jackie", after the actor Jackie Chan.
- Danny was originally going to be fully human, and he and his friends would use gadgets to fight ghosts. Hartman wanted him to ride a motorcycle like the Marvel superhero Ghost Rider. Later, Hartman decided it would be cooler if the main character had superpowers, and took away Danny's motorcycle.
- Danny was originally going to have a pet owl named "Spooky". However, the film Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, which also featured a main character with a pet owl, came out right as production started, so the owl idea was dropped.
- Danny was originally going to have a psychic link with Sam. Hartman eventually dropped the idea because it made Danny and Sam feel too fully developed for a show that was just starting.
- Danny is a certificated junior astronaut.
- The only historical quote Danny knows is, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself," from Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- According to the Guys in White, Danny Phantom is "an entity of scale 7 ectoplasmic power." This is a reference to Ghostbusters.
- Danny handwrites in cursive.
Click here to view the gallery.