Cujo is a small ghostly dog that appears in the episode "Shades of Gray." Though seemingly harmless, he can change from a cute little puppy into an enormous, rabid, dog monster.
Cujo is the ghost of a guard dog for Axion Industries. He came back to the human world in order to reclaim a squeaky toy he had left in the dog kennels. Cujo first appeared at Danny's school and, after transforming, ran off to Axion Industries, with Danny in hot pursuit. Danny's attempts to restrain him only led the lab being destroyed (resulting in Valerie's father losing his job). Danny attempted to throw Cujo back into the Ghost Zone, only for the dog to escape again. He then began trying to tame Cujo, but the pair was attacked by Valerie, outfitted with her new ghost hunting equipment. Danny finally managed to locate the ghost dog's squeaky toy and Cujo returned to the Ghost Zone, happy.
Reign Storm (Cameo)
He is later seen in "Reign Storm" as a cameo, fighting against Danny. This could be either a mistake on the writers' part that Cujo simply just didn't recognize him or that he's probably angry at Danny because he didn't visit him or mistaken him for an enemy.
His last appearance was in "Kindred Spirits," in a flashback, where Danny, Tucker, and Sam, were trying to get him back into the Ghost Zone. In that episode he was happy and cheerful as always, and tried to lick Danny, Tucker, and Sam, but Danny turned intangible so only his friends were licked.
Cujo is just a dog and he does what dogs do: Bark and play. Easy if he's just a dog but since he's a ghost dog, his aggressive anger can be unlimited and very ferocious if you made him mad too long.
Cujo is always happy but he is very cautious when he wants to. He had a strong sixth sense and can tell whether if the ghost is strong or not.
Cujo viewed Danny as a 'master' or 'friend' since Danny is the one who found him and has thus been interacting with him. At first their meeting started off rocky as Cujo's continuous search for his missing toy caused several disruptions in Danny's life as well as the life of Valerie Grey, who would go on to begin hunting them and others ghosts as a result. The two ghost-beings managed to bond during Danny's attempts to train him, only to find the dog has already been trained (during his life as a guard dog for Axion Labs). Cujo seemed to greatly enjoy the attention given to him by his new halfa friend and continued to return to the human world, presumably to seek out Danny. It is unknown whether Danny regularly visited his new ghost 'pet' or if Cujo followed his 'master' everywhere. He had a cameo in the episode Kindred Spirits.
Danny mentioned in Fanning the Flames that he desired a puppy in his younger years, but was forbade to own one by his parents. His joyful interactions with the ghost dog (primarily while in his smaller form) shows he does enjoy the animal's company. Sam admitted that the two are sweet together, though their ghostly attributes also make their interactions "freaky."
Cujo unintentionally began Valerie Gray's hatred for ghosts and Danny Phantom when he destroyed her father's workplace while looking for his toy buried beneath the lab, costing her father his job. He continued to appear in several places where she is in the same vicinity as Danny, leading her to believe it was deliberately attacking her (it may have been tracking her as well due to her connection to Axion Labs). Cujo may hold a personal grudge against Valerie as he does become violent when in her presence, tearing apart her lunch bag without provocation and growling at her menacingly, though there is no motive for this theory.
After these constant attacks continued to ruin her life, Valerie takes up ghost huntin weapons and attempted to eradicate both the dog and the ghost boy who she thinks is connected to its attacks.
Powers and Abilities
- Invisibility: As a ghost dog he can turn invisible.
- Intangibility: As a ghost dog he can turn intangible.
- Passing through the Fenton's Ghost Portal: During the series he is the only ghost that can actually pass through the Fenton's ghost portal without any problem even when it's closed.
- Rage-Induced Transformation: Whenever Cujo is upset, he transforms himself (unconsciously) into a big, powerful, savage, and almost unstoppable dog with an amazing strength that destroys everything in his path, anyhow when he sees Danny, he gets relaxed and happy, returning to his normal and harmless form. When he is transformed he increases his normal abilities, to levels relative to his size. When he is transformed, his tails becomes green fire.
- Enhanced Strength: As it's seen, when Cujo is transformed he becomes very strong and capable of bending metal and rip out trees from the roots with incredible ease, but even when he is small he can drag Danny with ease. He can also take down titanium doors with ease.
- Enhanced Stamina: When he his transformed, he is more durable than any normal human or dog.
- Enhanced Resistance: When he is transformed his body is more resilient to damage than any human or living dog.
- Enhanced Speed: When he is transformed, he is faster than a normal dog.
- Teleportation: He can teleport himself from one place to another at will, like he did when he appeared in the basketball game and when he disappeared after recovering his toy back.
- Sixth Sense (apparently): He can tell whether the ghost is strong or not.
- Enhanced Senses: As any dog, his sense of smell and hearing are beyond the human limits. He also may have night vision as any other dog.
- Flight: When coming out of the Fenton Portal he flight into the cieling.
- 110. "Shades of Gray"
- Cujo also appeared in Nicktoons: Globs of Doom as the boss for Amity Park, being controlled and infected by the Morphoids-like blob.
- In the game Nicktoons: Globs of Doom, Danny called Cujo "Ghost Dog."
- Like Dark Danny and Behemoth, Cujo is a placeholder name for the Ghost Dog.
- Danny's choice of calling the ghost dog "Cujo" is a homage to the deadly dog from the movie Cujo, made famous by Stephen King.
- Cujo seems to be wearing an Axion Industries dog tag, which could be an indication that Cujo died in Axion Industries, as his soul is drawn there as he looks for his chew toy in the area.
- Unlike other ghosts in the series who typically oppose Danny, Cujo adores him.
Click here to view the gallery.